Gnoetry is an on-going experiment in human/computer collaborative poetry composition.
Gnoetry synthesizes language randomly based on its analysis of existing texts. Any machine-readable text or texts, in any language, can serve as the basis of the Gnoetic process. Gnoetry generates sentences that mimic the local statistical properties of the source texts. This language is filtered subject to additional constraints (syllable counts, rhyming, etc.) to produce a poem.
For our early work with Gnoetry, we have used classic out-of-copyright texts like Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Veblen's Theory of the Leisure Class (obtained from the wonderful Project Gutenberg), as well as other sources such as rap lyrics, the complete lyrics of Bob Dylan and Reuters newswire stories.
A key aspect of the Gnoetry software is the ability of a human operator to intervene in the language generation cycle, helping to “guide” the artistic process and to produce a result that is a true collaboration of equals.
Beard of Bees Publications
- #100, To Cure Nature With Science (a gnoem), by Eric Elshtain, Gnoetry, and Eighty-two Other Beard of Bees Poets (March, 2014)
- #89, ]] and other 9/11 works, by Eric Goddard-Scovel and Gnoetry (September, 2012)
- #60, a light heart, its black thoughts, by Gnoetry and Eric Scovel (March, 2009)
- #42, King of Eatable Birds, by Anne H. Murdeus and Gnoetry (August, 2007)
- #30, Shaking Back The Kiss, by Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (February, 2006)
- #28, Gnoetry, by JoAnn Welch and Gnoetry (December, 2005)
- #26, Her Social Frame, by Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (June, 2005)
- #24, The Most Effective Dress, by Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (January, 2005)
- #16, At Captains' Tables, by Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (June, 2004)
- #13, Field Test Two, by Gnoetry and Others (April, 2004)
- #11, 100 Tankas From the Veblen, by Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (March, 2004)
- #9, The Dublin of Doctor Moreau, by Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (February, 2004)
- #6, Metric Error Left, by Jon Trowbridge, Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (January, 2003)
- #4, Field Test One, by Gnoetry and Others (March, 2001)
- #3, Static Void: Fifty-Nine Sonnets, and a Fragment, by Jon Trowbridge, Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (February, 2001)
- #2, Parent Class Finalize, by Jon Trowbridge, Eric Elshtain and Gnoetry (January, 2001)